This salad is perfect for these summer days when you want something light and refreshing or your tummy is feeling a little bogged down from too much food and you want something that will help you cleanse your system. It only has 6 ingredients which are all amazing medicinal foods.
We eat it here at home all the time, probably once or twice a week and everyone loves it. My toddler eats it by the handful and shoves it in his mouth…
This vegetable is a member of the brassica family along with kale, broccoli, collards, cauliflower and brussel sprouts, among others. It is packed with vitamins but is particularly high in vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant and immune booster and vitamin K, which is essential for blood clotting. It is also very high in fiber which helps you feel full longer, keep your gut flora happy and aids in elimination.
Cabbage Crunch Salad
A light, refreshing and gut-healing salad.
- 1 head of cabbage (green or purple, sometimes I also mix both because it looks pretty)
- 1 tbsp pink himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Shred or thinly slice the cabbage with a sharp knife. (Pro Tip:If you have a food processor you can also use the slicing blade to cut the whole cabbage in a few minutes.)
- Place the shredded cabbage in a bowl and add salt and vinegar. Use your hands to massage the cabbage for 1 or 2 minutes until everything is well mixed.
- Let the cabbage sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes. If you are cooking other things you can also let it sit longer while you cook.
- While the cabbage rests, toast the slivered almonds in a toaster oven or in a pan. (If roasting in the oven place on the darkest toast setting and keep an eye on them they quickly turn from golden to black. If roasting in a pan, place them on medium heat and stir them often with a spoon so that they are evenly roasted. The almonds are ready when your smell a wonderful nutty aroma and the almonds look golden.)
- Right before you are ready to serve mix in olive oil and honey and stir until well mixed. Taste and add more salt or vinegar if needed. Sprinkle roasted almonds over the top and serve.
***This salad keeps well int he fridge for 1 or 2 days. If you are making ahead or making as part of your food prep leave the roasted almonds out and only sprinkle right before serving. The almonds are good when crunchy, if they sit in the fridge they get soggy and don’t taste good.